By Sara Reichstadt, Education Coordinator, Kinderberry Hill Child Development Centers
To celebrate the Week of the Young Child, Kinderberry Hill is exploring the theme “Have you filled a bucket today?” Based on the book, How Full Is Your Bucket? written by Tom Rath and Mary Reckmeyer, children will explore easy and rewarding ways to express kindness and become thoughtful “bucket fillers”.
Ways to promote “bucket filling” at home:
- Model kindness and patience
- Draw attention to the small acts of kindness you do each day (i.e. holding doors, saying “good morning”, waving to neighbors) How do others respond to these kind acts?
- Praise your child for showing kindness and being a bucket filler at home!
- Talk about times your child has needed help. How did they feel? Who filled their bucket?
- Discuss times when neighbors or friends have helped your family. Let your child know how much others’ kindness means to you!
Fun “bucket filling” reads for your family:
Bucket Filling From A to Z: The Key to Being Happy by Carol McCloud & Caryn Butzke
Have You Filled A Bucket Today: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud